Somewhat surprise leaders of Group A, Uganda got their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations campaign off to a flying start with a win over DR Congo. Zimbabwe, meanwhile, held their own against a fancied Egyptian side. Despite losing 1-0, Zim can take some confidence from their sturdy defence.
Having won a Cup of Nations match for the first time in 41 years, Uganda coach Sebastien Desabre has warned his Cranes against overconfidence when they confront Zimbabwe.
“It was wonderful to win after such a long time, but we must keep our feet on the ground and remain humble and focused,” warned the Frenchman.
“I was very impressed by Zimbabwe against Egypt and nothing less than a top-class performance from us will deliver three more points.”
Should Uganda and Egypt triumph, both will be guaranteed last-16 places, leaving Zimbabwe and DR Congo to try and fill one of four spots reserved for the best third-place finishers.
“Our brave performance against Egypt is history and only a victory over Uganda will bring us back into contention for automatic qualification,” said Zimbabwe coach Sunday Chidzambwa.
Prediction, head-to-head and TV stream
Largely thanks to the results in their opening fixtures, it’s Uganda who have the edge for a win. The East African team is given a 40% chance of winning. The draw is the second most likely at 33% while Zimbabwe’s win probability is just 27%, despite their impressive record against The Cranes.
There have been 14 previous meetings between these two sides. Uganda have won two, drawn seven and Zimbabwe has won the other seven. They most recently met in 2016. Zimbabwe won 2-0.
Where and what time
Kick off is at 19:00 SAST.
In Africa, SuperSport 4 and 10 will broadcast the match and
the opening ceremony.
Elsewhere: Eurosport Player (UK) and beIN Sports Connect
Additional reporting by AFP.