Update your scones recipe with this tasty savoury version by Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup mealie meal
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Amasi
- 1 egg
- 1 beaten egg, for brushing
- Feta cheese, for serving
- Fruit chutney, for serving
- Mixed herbs, for serving
SEE ALSO: Mealie meal and parmesan patties
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add sugar, cheese and chives. Mix well.
- Add butter into the dry ingredients, and mix using your fingertips. You should end up with a slightly crumbly consistency.
- In a jug, whisk Amasi and the egg. Pour over mixture. Mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough. Cut with circular cookie cutter. Place onto a baking tray and brush with egg. Bake for 15–25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with feta cheese, fruit chutney and mixed herbs.
SEE ALSO: Chicken ala king
The post Savoury mini scones appeared first on Bona Magazine.