The Gauteng government says it’s confident that a solution to the payment impasse of the controversial e-tolling system will be found soon.
On Tuesday, the ANC NEC issued a statement following its four-day meeting in which it re-affirmed the user-pays principle in dealing with the financing of major infrastructure.
Earlier in July, Gauteng Premier David Makhura, Finance Minister Tito Mboweni, and Transport Minister Fikile Mbula were tasked by President Cyril Ramaphosa to come up with a solution to the matter by the end of August.
This comes as the ruling party comes under immense pressure from civil society to scrap the e-tolling system in Gauteng.
The premier’s spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga says, “Speaking on behalf of the Premier of Gauteng, the Premier through his State of the Province address (SOPA) remained opposed to the manner in which the e-tolls are actually arranged. We are quite pleased that the President (Cyril Ramaphosa) has assigned the three, Minister of Transport (Fikile Mbalula), Finance Minister (Tito Mboweni) as well as the Premier to make sure that they find a lasting solution. We are really looking forward to some positive results at the end of the cabinet.”
The post Gauteng govt confident e-toll impasse will be resolved appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..