The South African Social and Economic Development Forum has called on government to intervene to stop the closure of ArcelorMittal in Saldanha Bay on the West Coast.
More than 900 people stand to lose their jobs.
A group of community members is currently staging a picket at the gates of the plant.
Spokesperson, Sammy Claassen, says they’re planning to write to the Trade and Industry Ministry, requesting a meeting with stakeholders, to discuss a solution.
He says he believes the plant can still be saved. The company said earlier that its no longer economically viable to keep operations going.
A group of activists, religious leaders and representatives of small business picket against the planned closure of Arcelormittal in Saldanha on the Cape West coast #sabcnews pic.twitter.com/b7Xr0voE5F
— Chris Mabuya (@ChrisMabuya) November 21, 2019
Police are monitoring the picket.
The post Closure of ArcelorMittal will lead to job loses: Protesters appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..